Quite trivial really and works on both the 32-bit and the 64-bit versions:
- Download and tar zxvf the tarball from vmware.com
- cd to vmware-distrib and run the vmware-install.pl perl script
- When the installer asks you whether it should run the vmware-config.pl for you, answer no. The installer then quits.
- Now, download the vmware-any-any-patch, preferably from here
- Untar the patch in, say, /tmp. Then cd to /tmp/vmware-any-any-update116 and execute the runme.pl perl script.
- Continue through the whole script and fire up VMware Workstation as normal :)